On May 12, 2008, Agriprocessors, a Postville plant, was raided by Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE). Agriprocessors produces kosher meat products and is the primary source of income for the small Iowa town and surrounding areas. Ironically enough, the Swift meat-packing plant raid in Marshalltown, Iowa, also occured on the 12th of the month (December 12th, 2006).
Suspspicions grew when ICE began occupying the National Cattle Congress grounds in Waterloo, Iowa. Immigration supporters bawked at the idea that ICE was renting the grounds for "training". It seemed unlikely that ICE would conduct a training in Waterloo, Iowa. As rumors began to circulate, it became apparent that Postville would be the likely target. And so it was. I was told that ICE tricked the media and the general public by leaving on Monday morning to get "coffee". The media was following ICE to the raid site, only to learn they were getting beverages. Meanwhile, the REAL group that would eventually raid the plant had left for Postville.
On Monday, May 12th, I was home sick with my daughter, Addison. Around 10 a.m., I began to feel uneasy. I think I knew the raid was occuring. I had been told the raid would occur on the 12th, and the Swift Raid of 2006 began at 10 a.m., so naturally I figured this raid would begin at 10, also. Around 10:15, I received a phone call from my coworkers, informing me that ICE was raiding Agriprocessors in Postville.
I am sure you are wondering why the workers were not warned. Many immigration advocates attempted to warn immigrants around the state, but there were so many rumors flying that it was difficult to determine which rumors were actually credible. Furthermore, many of the immigrants at packing facilities around the state were forced to work. It was just not feasible for them to miss work based on mere speculation. Afterall, they have their famillies to feed, and they do not get the same kind of leeway to miss a day of work here and there as we often enjoy at our workplaces.
Because of the way the Swift raids were handled, immigration lawyers and adovocates knew that there would be no chance of getting into the detention facility to see the detainees on Monday. Tuesday morning, about 7 a.m., I left with my coworkers to go to the Cattle Congress grounds. After two hours of driving, we reached our destination. I felt uneasy as we approached the detention facility. I saw an American Flag waving in the breeze and swarms of ICE agents.
As we approached the fenced facility, we were instructed to park in a designated area. ICE agents, dressed in black uniforms with "ICE" in large white letters on their backs, escorted us from our vehicle. We had to be searched and received I.D.'s to display on our shirts. I was very scared of the agents, although I am a citizen, because I was the "enemy". Not mention they had some BIG guns. Ironically enough, the agents were very kind to me. I have a broken foot and they proceeded to help me up and down stairs, etc. I guess I thought they would be sub-human. At least it was easier for me to hate them if I pictured them as assholes.
We were escorted to a make-shift trailer for attorneys. We proceeded to discuss our game plan. There were so many people to see and just not enough time. We waited, and waited, and waited.....and we were not permitted to see our clients. This was despite the fact that we had the necessary forms submitted to show that we were representing many of the detainees.
At one point, I decided to go to the restroom. I was "escorted". Upon entering the Pepsi Pavillion, which is usually a bingo hall during the fair, I saw tall chain-link fences. Inside the fences were newly constructed wooden "pods". It looked like Guantanamo Bay in there. I did not see any detainees as I went to the bathroom. Later I would learn that this area was a place for attorneys to talk to their clients. I felt like crying at that point-but I remained strong.
I also saw a "courtroom" while I was there. ICE was reluctant to even let us into that area. It certainly didn't look like any courtroom I had seen. We were told we could not be in the courtoom, despite the fact that the hearings were supposed to be public. Do I smell a violation of due process here?
After waiting for 6 hours, we were denied access to our clients. We left feeling very defeated. At one point the ICE attorney offered us concessions from the concession stand. What is this, the Fair? No matter how hungry I was, I told my fellow coworkers that there was NO WAY IN HELL I would give a dime of my money to the mongrel that rented the facillities to ICE.
We also heard cheering from the ICE headquarters. I proceeded to tell everyone that they were probably starting the carnival rides.
We left the area, and my coworkers and I went to dinner and then received a call that attorneys were being let in to see clients. We headed back to the Cattle Congress and eventually got in around 10:30 p.m.
Although I cannot divulge specific information, I can say the general theme of the night was sadness and despair. Many workers could not understand why they were forced to wear handcuffs and ankle cuffs, as they were only trying to work. They certainly did not look like criminals. We finally finished interviewing for the night at 3 a.m. We then drove 2 hours back to Des Moines.
The entire setup was very eery. It was strange to be at fairgrounds and yet know that you were basically at a prison camp. I will never attend an event at the Cattle Congress again.
Overall, the week's events have left me with a feeling of sadness and disappointment. It is devastating to know that so many detainees will be denied any immigration relief because of the criminal charges. It's disheartening to know that a democratic nation can behave like a dictatorship. And it's scary to see the hate that comes out when something like this happens. I have seen comments on the Des Moines register website that are extremely racist. If we're so mad about immigrants breaking the law, why are we focused on the fact that these people are Hispanic? Does it really even matter? Would we care if white people were entering the U.S. without documenation?
I am slowly losing my faith in humanity. And yet I'm realizing more and more everyday that I'm devoting my life to something that I feel so passionately about: helping undocumented immigrants.
I think this biblical reference sums up my feelings on the past week "Love thy neighbor as thy self".
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
oh goodness. My heart goes out to the victims. I can't even imagine how ICE can get away with the crap they were doing. I hope that you all can help as many people as you can.
Post a Comment