December 10, 2008

Poverty.................

They say poverty is relative....and maybe it is. You take long wistful glances at those who have more than you: your neighbor with the newer-model car, your coworker taking that vacation, the celebrities that have, well, everything. It's a rat race that will never end. No matter how much money you have, you will ALWAYS want more. It's like a science. And they say money is the root of all evil......

As for myself, well, I've definitely longed for finer things in the life-the Coach purse, the new car, a Mexican vacation. Sometimes we've splurged, giving in to temptation and convincing ourselves we could afford it. Last week, however, my perspective completely changed. Never again will I take for granted the fact that I have a car to drive, a roof over my head, or a blanket. Never again will I complain (well at least I will try not to) about the bills that come piling in each month. We've all done it, we've complained about the gas prices, the shitty economy, the rising food prices.

You see, last weekend I saw REAL poverty. It does exist. There are people living right here in the United States who cannot afford to buy dish soap or shampoo, let alone some extravagant vacation or a new car.

On Sunday, I traveled to Postville, Iowa, to assist in the aftermath of the Postville Immigration Raid. I saw first-hand what poverty looks like: It's a mother "shopping" for groceries while looking through donated items at a church, it's a child picking out his favorite cereal among the possible donated items, its a woman so thankful for dish soap that you'd swear you saw a tear in her eye. I was so emotional. I told myself at that moment that I would never again take what I had for granted. I'm not perfect, and I'm sure I will do it again. Let's face it; we all will. At least maybe I will think twice next time.

I saw real poverty last weekend. The kind you see in one of those cheesy infomercials. Unlike so many Americans, the victims of the Postville Raid cannot do anything to improve their situation. They won't be going down to the local county office to ask for food stamps or welfare checks. They won't have the ability to look the help-wanted ads to find that perfect job. They'll take anything, because it means that maybe their child will go to bed with a full stomach.

I cannot erase the images of poverty and strife from my mind. They are a constant burden, burned into the depths of my brain. It's more than a person can bare, and yet it exists. Everyday. They say poverty is relative, and maybe it is.....for most.

No comments: